Chapter Meetings, Advanced Training and Projects
September 6 through November 8 Virginia Master Naturalist Eastern Shore Chapter Basic Training Class
September 6 through November 8 (Thursdays only). Classes usually start at 9:00 AM and end at 3:00 PM with field trips having day specific schedules. The classroom programs have recently been held at the Historic Onancock School in Onancock, Virginia
ESMN 2018 Class Registration Form on FORMS page
September 19, 2018 Chapter Meeting at Eastern Shore Community College, 5:30 pm Meet and Greet, 6:00 pm Meeting
Guest Speaker: John Kleopfer, The State Herpetologist at DGIF, “Snakes of Virginia and the Eastern Shore”
September 22, 2018 Advanced Training Opportunity
Marine Life Day at VIMS Eastern Shore Lab
40 Atlantic Ave, Wachapreague, VA 23480
Visitors of all ages are invited to experience a fun and educational day exploring marine life found on Virginia’s Eastern Shore! Marine Life Day will showcase research being conducted at the Virginia Institute of Marine Science’s Eastern Shore Laboratory. Guests will have the opportunity to interact with a variety of marine plants and animals in touch tanks and live displays, study creatures under microscopes, learn about marine science through activities and crafts, and discuss current research projects with scientists. Featured research and displays will include shellfish, crabs, fish, sharks, and much more!
This event is free, open to the public, and takes place rain or shine. For more information and to register, visit www.vims.edu/events. The first 50 people to register will receive a free, VIMS reusable shopping bag when they check-in for the event on September 22nd.
September 27, 2018 Advanced Training Opportunity
For anyone who did NOT attend the Chapter meeting where Jeff Orrock, from the National Weather Service, made a presentation about Eastern Shore Weather, he will be doing this again as part of the new class this coming Thursday. If you wish to get an advanced training hour at the class, please let me know so we can plan seating and logistics. contact Ric at bdreichard@Verizon.net.
September 29, 2018 Kiptopeke State Park Outdoor Exploration Day
10:00 am to 4:00 pm ESMN will have two tables, Master Naturalist and a shell activity for children. More volunteers needed. Set up at 9:00 am.
Contact: Pat Magee, email@example.com
November 21, 2018 Chapter Meeting at Eastern Shore Community College, 5:30 pm Meet and Greet, 6:00 pm Meeting
Guest Speaker: Holly Gaff (or one of the research team members) “Virginia–A Mixing Bowl for Ticks ad Pathogens”
Instructions for Accessing the Volunteer Management System
If you have questions about the Virginia Master Naturalist Volunteer Management System please contact the chapter’s timekeeper:
Your personal data has been entered into the Virginia Master Naturalist Volunteer Management System. After your final training class you will receive an automated email from Sharon Renshaw providing access to this system. The message will contain a link which allows you to log on to the Volunteer Management System. The link only works once!
Click on the link and you will see the home page of the Eastern Shore Chapter’s section of the Virginia Master Naturalist Volunteer Management System where you will enter and track your volunteer and advanced training hours.
- The very first action you should take is to look under “Your Information” in the upper left corner of the page.
- Choose “Edit Your Profile”
- Scroll down to the box that says “Change Password.” Choose and enter a password.
- Be sure to click on “SAVE INFORMATION” at the bottom of this page.
From that point on, you will be able to enter the system with the following address:
Username: your email address
Password: the password which you have just chosen.
You will not receive or use the initial invitation again. If, in the future, you have problems with your password contact Sharon Renshaw. I will send another automated email message to you. Follow the same steps.
You will use this site to enter your volunteer and advanced training hours. You can also use this site to edit your profile, check for chapter announcements, review definitions of all projects and find contact information for other members.
Using the Virginia Master Naturalist Volunteer Management System (VMN-VMS)
To enter the system:
Enter your email address
Enter your password
- To Enter Volunteer Hours.
- Under “Your Information” on the left side of the home screen, choose “Add New Hours.”
- In the top box of the next screen, enter a description for your volunteer event (e.g. cleaned the shoreline at Savage Neck Dunes NAP )
- Enter the date.
- Next choose the official title from the approved volunteer projects listed in the drop-down box. This includes administration, citizen science, educational programs and stewardship. Administration (A-1) is only used for chapter administration.
- Enter the number of volunteer hours. This includes activity time and travel time combined.
- There is also a field for entering your miles driven. In 2017 you could use miles driven for a federal tax deduction for volunteer activitie. There may be changes in 2018 deductions.
- The “Population Served” section should be completed any time you have had a face-to-face interaction with the public.
- VERY IMPORTANT –SAVE your information using the Save Hours button at the bottom of the page.
- To Enter Advanced Training Hours
- Advanced Training is used when you receive the education/training from someone else.
- Choose “Add New “ from the upper left corner of the screen.
- Enter a description of the class or training which you attended.
- Enter the date.
- Choose the official title of A-2 Advanced Training”
- Enter the hours in the Continuing Education box—not volunteer hours.
- Do not add travel time for advanced training.
- Do not fill in the population served section.
- SAVE your information at the bottom of the page.
- To correct or delete hours which you have already entered.
- Choose “ View Your Hours” from the upper left corner of the home screen.
- Click on the entry which you wish to change.
- Make any changes which you need to make.
- Scroll to the bottom of the screen and
- To delete an activity, choose the activity, scroll to the bottom of the screen and choose DELETE.
- To update your personal information.
- Use Update Profile when you need to change personal information or want to change your pass word. SAVE
GENERAL INFORMATION at the bottom left hand corner of the screen
- Use Chapter Roster find contact information for chapter members
- Use the Projects link to see the complete list of approved projects and to find details about the projects.